Sign Up
Paying Homage helps you connect and share with the people in your life.
Build Your Homage Page

Red Lake High School »info

Owner: Allison Shaw

Dedicated To: Red Lake High School


The Red Lake shootings were a series of spree killings that occurred on March 21, 2005, in two places on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Red Lake, Minnesota, United States. That morning, the 16-year-old gunman killed his grandfather (a tribal police officer) and his grandfather's girlfriend at their home. After taking his grandfather's police weapons and vest, the gunman drove his grandfather's police vehicle to Red Lake Senior High School, where he had been a student some months before.

The gunman shot and killed seven people at the school and wounded five others. The dead included an unarmed security guard at the entrance of the school, then a teacher and five students. After the police arrived, the gunman exchanged gunfire with them. He was wounded and then died by suicide in a vacant classroom.

The day of the shootings, the gunman retrieved a Ruger MK II .22 caliber pistol from his bedroom and fatally shot his grandfather as he was sleeping; he shot him two times in the head and ten times in the chest. According to the gunman's friends, the teenager may have had the gun for as long as a year. He took Lussier's two police-issue weapons, a .40 caliber Glock 23 pistol and a Remington 870 12 gauge pump-action shotgun, a gunbelt and a bullet-proof vest. He fatally shot Sigana, his grandfather's girlfriend, two times in the head as she carried laundry up the stairs.

The gunman drove his grandfather's squad car to Red Lake Senior High School, arriving at around 2:45 p.m. Central Standard Time. As he entered the school through the main entrance, he encountered two unarmed security guards manning a metal detector. The gunman shot and killed Derrick Brun, while the other security guard escaped without injury. The gunman proceeded into the main corridor of the school.

He began shooting into an English classroom, killing three students and one teacher, and wounding three students. Ashley Lajeunesse said that Chase Lussier sheltered her, and was one of those shot by the gunman. Jeffrey May, a 16-year-old sophomore, tried to wrestle the gunman inside the classroom and stabbed him in the stomach with a pencil. His diversion allowed students to flee the classroom to safety, but the gunman shot May two times in the neck and once in the jaw, leaving him seriously injured.

Witnesses said the gunman smiled as he was shooting at people. One witness said that the gunman asked a student if he believed in God. This is believed to have been a reference to a widely publicized exchange during the 1999 Columbine High School massacre between Dylan Klebold and Valeen Schnurr, a Columbine survivor.

At around 2:52 p.m., the gunman returned to the main entrance, where he killed two students and wounded two others. The police had arrived quickly and engaged him in gunfire. FBI special agent Paul McCabe said the shootout lasted for about four minutes. None of the officers were injured. After being hit in the abdomen and right arm, the gunman retreated to a vacant classroom. He leaned against a wall, put the shotgun barrel to his chin, and fired, killing himself.