Sign Up
Paying Homage helps you connect and share with the people in your life.
Build Your Homage Page

Accent Signage Systems »info

Owner: Allison Shaw

Dedicated To: Accent Signage Systems

Tribute: To the survivors, victims and family and friends of Accent Signage Systems

A shooting incident occurred at a firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on the afternoon of Thursday, September 27, 2012. The attack took place inside Accent Signage Systems, where a former employee walked into the firm's building and fired a Glock 19 9mm pistol. By the end of the day, five people were dead, including the gunman who committed suicide, and four others were injured, three of them critically. One of those critically injured died the following day, and another man succumbed to his wounds on October 10. It was the deadliest workplace shooting in Minnesota's history.

The shooting took place at Accent Signage Systems, a sign-making business located in the Bryn Mawr neighborhood of Minneapolis, which is bisected by Interstate 394. the gunman, an employee of the firm, was called over to the office of operations director John Souter. Before going to the executive offices, the gunman first went to his car, apparently to retrieve a Glock 19 9mm handgun. When he was informed by Souter that he was losing his job, the gunman responded with "Oh, really?" and took out the handgun from his holster. A struggle over the handgun ensued between the gunman, Souter, and top manager Rami Cooks; gunshots severely wounded Souter and fatally wounded Cooks. The gunman then left Souter's office, shooting and killing company founder Reuven Rahamim, who was stepping out of his office, which was next to Souter's. He then left the executive offices and entered a sign-display area, killing Jacob Beneke, an employee from Maple Grove. The gunman then moved on to the loading dock area, where he shot and killed a second employee, Ronald Edberg of Brooklyn Center. He also killed Keith Basinski, a UPS driver who was on a delivery, as he was seated in his truck. The gunman then entered the production floor and continued firing, fatally wounding production manager Eric Rivers and grazing another employee.

The first 911 phone calls made from the business were at 4:35 p.m. when someone called in saying gunshots were being fired. The first officers that arrived on the scene managed to escort some people out of the building during the assault. The shooting killed four people at the scene and another victim died the next day. Three others were treated at Hennepin County Medical Center, two of them for critical injuries; one of these victims later died on October 10. the gunman died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a warehouse in the workplace's basement.